Glenys Muir is currently employed to deliver our Reading Recovery programme each morning between 9-12pm.
In addition to Glenys the school is fortunate to have a number of Reading Recovery trained teachers who apply these skills in their classrooms.
Reading Recovery is a well-researched, effective early literacy intervention. It operates in many New Zealand primary schools and is supported and partially funded by the Ministry of Education; however, it does operate under set rules that include the maximum number of sessions, age bands that qualify for consideration etc. Note, if a child enters our school having been on Reading Recovery at their previous school, they have priority over available spaces.
For more information on Reading Recovery please visit www.readingrecovery.ac.nz
If your child requires help but is not successful in gaining a place on the Reading Recovery programme we will work with you to see what else the school can offer.
- can reduce the number of children having reading and writing difficulties
- provides a second chance for six-year-old children who are not getting under way with literacy learning
- provides individual, daily intensive teaching for the lowest achieving readers and writers
- lifts many children’s achievement in a short time to an average level
- builds on each child’s strengths through individually designed lessons
- promotes change across a series of lessons according to individual needs of children.